The CBD Craze: What You Need to Know
With the seemingly sudden rise in popularity of a variety of CBD products, many people have been left confused by the information (or lack thereof) that they’ve come across! I know you guys have probably heard me mention CBD oil (in fact I highlighted it as part of my recovery kit), so I wanted to take a minute or two to lay out some information for you in a quick Q and A format!
1. What is CBD? CBD, short for cannabidiol, is a cannabinoid, a compound found in cannabis plants.
2. What about THC, isn’t that also a cannabinoid? Yes, THC is a cannabinoid, but it is a completely separate compound from CBD. THC is short for tetrahydrocannabinol.
3. What is the difference? Both CBD and THC are derived from cannabis plants. THC is known for its psychoactive effects, and is primarily derived from the Marijuana plant (a type of cannabis plant). CBD, on the other hand, has no psychoactive effects, and is primarily derived from the Hemp plant, a completely different type of cannabis plant!
4. So, will CBD get you high? Nope! Most CBD oils and products (like my favorite, Jade Harvest Hemp) are indeed derived from hemp plants which primarily produce CBD, and contain only trace amounts of THC. In fact, Hemp contains less than 0.3% THC in comparison to Marijuana, which contains anywhere from 5-35% THC. CBD is also a chemical antagonist to THC, and actually opposes its psychoactive effects!
5. Why use CBD? Not many people know this, but your body actually has its own inherent ECS, or endocannanabinoid system, that regulates biological processes in your body. CBD stimulates this system, and slows down the elimination of your body’s own natural cannabinoids. Using CBD oil can therefore help with things like anxiety, stress, poor or restless sleep, aches and pains, and so much more!
To recap, CBD is NOT THC, will NOT get you high, and does NOT have psychoactive effects. It WILL, however, help your body in numerous ways! To check out my favorite CBD oils and salves, visit the Jade Harvest Hemp site, and use discount code DRJESS on your order!